The purpose of the Beyond LHS program is to partner with students and parents to provide a supported bridge between Lebanon High School (LHS) and the student's early college experience. The program is designed to smooth the transition between the two settings and increase the success of our students in college. It is also hoped that through Beyond LHS more Lebanon High School graduates will see college as a realistic possibility.
- Students must meet the following criteria:
- Are (or intend to become) enrolled at Lebanon High School
- Complete Beyond LHS enrollment process prior to deadlines
- Complete a personal educational plan (PEP) that includes a chosen post-high school educational goal. The plan must include a college certificate or degree, which the student will pursue. This plan will include an outline of specific courses that Beyond LHS will support in order to help the student meet that goal. The plan must be approved by Beyond LHS and LBCC staff as being realistic and appropriate for the student's placement level.
- Are pursuing but have not yet earned a Lebanon High School diploma.
- Students may take classes at Linn Benton Community College (LBCC), at any of the campuses (Albany, Lebanon, Corvallis, or Sweet Home).
- Students participating in the program must attend all required meetings and orientations.
- Students must follow LBCC guidelines including registration processes, meeting deadlines, and seeking assistance for the many services available to students.
- "Eligible courses" are defined as:
o Credit bearing courses that are outlined on the student's Educational Plan and Profile (EPP) and/or LBCC graduation worksheet.
o Beyond LHS will not pay for classes that are not included in the student's EPP/LBCC graduation plan without prior approval by Beyond LHS staff.
- Beyond LHS will NOT pay for classes at LBCC that are listed as having an "Internet", "Self-Directed", or "Lab" format. The only exceptions to this rule must be made with the approval of Kathy Chafin at LBCC.
- Beyond LHS will pay the tuition for LBCC classes that fall within the plan described above, up to a maximum of twelve credits per term. Students are welcome, at their own expense, to take classes that do not meet Beyond LHS eligibility requirements.
- Books will be purchased by Beyond LHS (up to $500 per term). Some classes require specialty equipment or supplies; these supplies are at the student's expense. Beyond LHS will not pay for consumables (such as art supplies), music lab fees (private lessons), or fees associated with special classes (such as scuba diving or software).
**At the end of the term students must participate in LBCC's book buy back program in order to remain eligible for future terms.
- Students are discouraged from working full time or participating in some types of extra curricular activities that demand a great deal of time (e.g. competitive sports) if they are taking a full time college class load.
- Students must maintain at least a 2.0 in order to remain eligible for the program. Students will be asked once per term to have their instructors complete progress reports and return them to Kathy Chafin by a deadline. A second progress report may be requested if the first report indicates a need. The progress report will be shared with Beyond LHS staff.
- Beyond LHS is a program that will change and evolve over time. Students will be expected to keep up to date and follow all future program changes. Beyond LHS program changes will be communicated through e-mail with students. Students must provide Beyond LHS with an active email address that they will check at least weekly.
- Students/families may receive a 1098T form from LBCC attesting to the amount that has been spent on the student's tuition. Students and families are advised that they should only claim the amount that they themselves actually paid for tuition on their taxes and not include the amount paid by Beyond LHS.